Date: Sunday, 2nd June
Time: 2pm. The tour will last approx 2 hours. Post-walk ice cream or pub probable!
Meet: Outside the main Birkbeck building (address says Malet St., but it’s Torrington Square) in front of the revolving doors. If you’re running late or can’t spot us (or this makes no sense to you), call me on 07594 641624.
Where: We will be walking around HOLBORN! More specifically, places in the ‘Our Sisters’ London: Nineteen Feminist Walks’ book, including…
– Memorial to Margaret MacDonaldson, politician and campaigner (1870-1911)
– Birthplace of Gothic novelist Ann Radcliffe (1764-1823)
– Home of author Katherine Mansfield (1888-1923) and her “devoted friend” (ahem) Ida Constance Baker (1888-1978)
– Home of Jane Harrison, academic and first research fellow at Newnham College, Cambridge, in 1898 (1850-1928)
– Site of the meeting place of the women bookbinders union.
– Site of two of the very earliest women’s trade unions meetings in 1834.
– Headquarters of the Women’s Freedom League.
All are welcome on this tour and it’s FREE.
We look forward to seeing you!